Oberammergau Passion Play 2020
Germany, Austria, Italy, Liechtenstein
Projected Dates: September 9-19, 2020 • 11 Days • Price TBA
An additional departure in May of 2020 is also available!
Featuring the historic event – the Oberammergau Passion Play 2020! – as well as walks and activities in the Alpine countries of Germany, Austria, Italy, and Liechtenstein.
Traveler Rewards Program: New Travelers receive a $300 discount on the Oberammergau Passion Play 2020! Returning travelers receive our Alumni Traveler Discount of 5-10% off the main tour price. Terms, exclusions and conditions apply. Check out our Traveler Rewards page for more details.
Now accepting Early Bird deposits on this 2020 tour! If 25 Early Birds are received for this departure, we’ll add it to our official 2020 Schedule. An Early Bird is a $50 deposit that holds your spot during the planning stages of a trip, when we don’t have a set itinerary or dates. Early Birds are always refundable!
Used with permission of Oberammergau Passion Play 2020
The performance of the Oberammergau Passion Play dates back nearly 400 years to 1633, when the town of Oberammergau was in the throes of the bubonic plague. Villagers got together and made a vow to God that if He would remove the plague, they would produce a play regularly, in perpetuity, depicting the last week of Jesus’ life, including his crucifixion and resurrection, which is commonly known as the Passion of Christ. The plague did subside, and the villagers kept their promise. The first play was performed in 1634, and eventually, it became an event performed every 10th year for five months, between May and early October. The next summer of performances is in 2020!
Walking Adventures has taken groups to the Oberammergau Passion Play in the years 2000 and 2010. We are now offering 2 tours to see the play again in 2020.
Interest in this event is always high! Pricing for play tickets is therefore a bit steep and payments made to the Oberammergau Passion Play are non-refundable.
The play takes place in the afternoon and evening. It’s an outstanding performance conducted by the villagers themselves. There are no professional actors in the play. All actors must be residents and rigid qualifications for residency are religiously enforced. For example, actors must have resided in Oberammergau for 20 years, but can shorten that requirement to 10 years by marrying a true local.
WAI will build a walking itinerary around the play that starts in Frankfurt, Germany, and follows parts of the Romantic Road through some of Germany’s most picturesque and historic medieval towns, including charming Rothenburg. Continuing south to the shores of Lake Constance, we explore the tiny principality of Liechtenstein before attending the play in Oberammergau. Two nights in a quiet Alpine valley of Austria precedes a drive across the Alps to Italy’s Lake Como. We fly home from Milan.
We are revising this itinerary! More details will be available.
- We start in Frankfurt, Germany area with optional sightseeing in Frankfurt for those arriving a day early.
- Our route continues along the Romantic Road, stopping at the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Würzburg Palace.
- Two nights in the charming medieval village of Dinkelsbühl offer all the appeal of the more famous Rothenburg, without the crowds.
- A day gives us time to enjoy a wonderful walk in and around Rothenburg, and then continue along the Romantic Road to Oberammergau. The world-famous play takes place in the afternoon and evening with dinner in-between.
- We ascend into the Austrian Alps for a walk at Achensee Lake and two nights in the classic, mountain village of Alpbach.
- Also included are sightseeing and walks in the four-country corner of Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria with two nights in an area hotel.
- Our road takes us south through the Swiss Alps into Italy for two nights in the Lake Como area, with a walk and sightseeing the following day in the Liguria region of Italy.
- Travelers fly home from Milan’s Malpensa International Airport.
- All land travel
- Superior tourist-class or better hotel accommodations
- All breakfasts and a selection of lunches and dinners
- WAI guide service throughout
- Cultural and historical expertise of our national guide throughout
- Tips for guides/coach drivers and group meals
- Pricing is based on double occupancy. Single rooms will be available for a supplement.
Tour Pace: 1 2 3 4 5
Walk Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5
Your WAI Guides
Sierra Suits has a head for details and the heart of an explorer! As a tour planner in the office, she spends much of her time pulling together the ins and outs of WAI Adventures. Sierra believes that all destinations have the power to teach and transform, and her favorite travel experiences so far have both taken place in Eastern Europe – namely exploring Prague, and hiking in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains. Sierra will be accompanied on this tour by a WAI assistant, along with our National Guide Hildrun Mathies. Sierra looks forward to sharing this historic event, the Oberammergau Passion Play 2020, with you!
Your National Guide
Hildrun Mathies is one of our favorite overseas guides! She has a wealth of knowledge and experience, with a Master’s Degree in Art History and Religious Science; fluency in English, French, Spanish, and her native German; and over 20 years of experience guiding groups through central Europe. But it is Hildrun’s special blend of in-depth knowledge, lighthearted presentation style, passion for sharing, and her commitment to making the travel experience the best it can be for her travelers, that makes a trip with her so memorable. Hildrun will be joined by a Walking Adventures guide team on this tour.
We are revising this itinerary! More details will be available.
Click on each heading for more details.
How do I lock in my place on this Adventure?
Call or mail in your Early Bird ($50) to save your spot! We’ll take an average of 25-30 travelers on this tour. Our guide to traveler ratio is 1:10.
Early Bird deposits are refundable $50 deposits which serve to hold your spot on a tour until dates and pricing have been confirmed. Once all details on a tour have been finalized, travelers can then register with an additional $450 deposit to bring their total on a tour up to $500.
Traveler Rewards Program
New Travelers receive a $300 discount on the Oberammergau Passion Play 2020 tour! Returning travelers receive our Alumni Traveler Discount of 5-10% off the main tour price. Terms, exclusions and conditions apply. See the Traveler Rewards page for more details or contact us with any questions at 800.779.0353 or [email protected].
How is Airfare Arranged?
Travelers will start in Germany, flying into the Frankfurt Airport (FRA) and will finish in Italy, flying home from Milan’s Malpensa International Airport (MXP).
Travelers who would like help booking their airfare will be referred to our local travel agent Debbi Custer who partners with Walking Adventures International. More details about flight arrangements and travel agent contact information will be made available after this tour has been finalized.
What about the walks?
We generally walk at a pace of 2 to 3 miles per hour. In most cases, we are not “strolling.” We are walking at a relaxed but steady pace. Your experience will be significantly affected by your level of physical fitness. If not walking regularly at home, we strongly recommend that you make a priority of “training” beforehand in order to both enjoy the trip and avoid medical issues due to overexertion. If you have questions about your ability to participate, please talk with our office at 1.800.779.0353.
We have adopted a walk difficulty rating system, which contains a numeric indicator for trail incline and an alpha indicator for trail terrain. The explanation for this system is presented below.
1. Very small hills or very little stair climbing. Cumulative elevation gain from Starting Point: up to 200 feet.
2. Some moderate hills and stair climbing. Cumulative elevation gain from Starting Point: 200-1000 feet.
3. Some significant hill or stair climbing. Cumulative elevation gain from Starting Point: 1000-2000 feet.
4. Lots of significant hills or stair climbing. Cumulative elevation gain from Starting Point: 2000-3500 feet.
5. Many steep hills. Cumulative elevation gain from Starting Point: more than 3500 feet.
A. Almost entirely on pavement.
B. A significant part of the route is on well-groomed trails with very few obstacles.
C. A significant part of the route is on somewhat difficult terrain (rocky / rooted paths or soft sand).
D. A significant part of the route is on very difficult terrain.
E. The majority of the route is on very difficult terrain.
What happens next?
We are currently developing the itinerary for this Adventure. Once the itinerary is released, we will accept registration deposits ($500) to save space.
If you have Early Birded with a refundable $50 deposit, your spot on the tour will be held for 2 weeks after the itinerary is published while you make a decision on whether or not you’d like to register with an additional $450 fee, bringing your deposit on tour up to $500. If you decide not to join us for this tour, your Early Bird can be refunded or transferred to another tour.
We look forward to sharing the Oberammergau Passion Play with you in 2020!