No other country on the planet has a greater number of species per square mile or offers so many fun and educational pursuits for the traveler in such a small package!
Our outstanding itinerary is filled with long-tested WAI favorites such as a central highlands coffee experience, a fun and educational chocolate tour (the 6th food group?!), a visit to a colorful butterfly conservancy, an early morning canal ride and walk in Tortuguero National Park, Cahuita jungle walking with howler monkeys, and several other Costa Rican “pura vida” (full of life) adventures!
Our hotels in particular on this tour are rural delights, with expansive gardens and beautiful locales, providing a wonderful retreat after a full day’s activities and a relaxing haven from which to observe the wildlife for which Costa Rica is so well known.
- Central Highlands – with a coffee tour and lunch at a family-owned coffee plantation. Coffee is the bean that raised Costa Rica out of Central American poverty! NOTE: We will be in the Central Highlands for several days, but the coffee tour is an optional activity on Day 1 for travelers who arrive a day early on Day 0.
- Arenal – a picturesque, perfectly conical volcano whose slopes have provided a haven for an astonishing number of species
- Tortuguero – two days to explore this jungle hideaway for iguanas, monkeys, sloths, and toucans. Cruising through rain forest canals at dawn on the lookout for critters is a once in a lifetime experience!
- Cahuita National Park – boasting a memorable “dry jungle” trail along the Caribbean in the company of monkeys and other Costa Rican critters
- Airport to hotel group transfers on first and last day
- All land travel by motorcoach as outlined
- Tourist-class hotel accommodations or better in remote, uniquely Costa Rican settings (all facilities en suite)
- 20 meals: 9 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 8 dinners as listed (BLD)
- 10 walk routes
- Walking fees (6 stamps) for those collecting IVV credit (pending sanction approval)
- Cultural & historical expertise of a local guide throughout
- WAI guide service throughout – 2 guides
- All tipping for local guides, coach drivers and group meals
- Pricing is based on double occupancy; a limited number of single rooms are available for a supplement for $600. We also provide a roommate matching service.
- Sarchi Oxcart Shop
- Butterfly Conservatory
- Arenal Sky Tram
- El Silencio Mirador Reserve
- Tirimbina Rainforest Center Chocolate Tour
- Jungle river cruise to Tortuguero
- Roundtrip boat transfer to Tortuguero Village
- Tortuguero wildlife canal cruise
- Tortuguero National Park
- Roundtrip boat transfer to Cerro Tortuguero
- Cahuita National Park
- Escazú Encanto de la Piedra Blanca Sugar Cane Mill and Mascarade visit
- More fun stops than we can list!
- Central Highlands Coffee Tour (Day 1)
- Arenal Sky Trek zipline experience (Day 3)