England and Scotland have long been favorite destinations with Americans. Over the years, no other WAI Adventure has enticed more travelers abroad than our trips to what Shakespeare referred to as “this scepter’d isle” (Richard II). Something about the bucolic panoramas, historic sites, traditional way of life, and familiar names seems to strike a nerve in the heart of the American traveler. So much of who we are as a nation is tied to Great Britain—we share a similar system of law and government, a common language (sort of), parallel cultures; in short, an inextricably linked heritage.
We invite you to join us in the summer of 2023 as we explore the countries that gave us Shakespeare and Robert Louis Stevenson, Henry VIII and Robert the Bruce, Peter Rabbit and Alice in Wonderland! Come walk with us over stone bridges and past thatch-roofed houses in the Cotswolds; through the green, rolling hills and stone-fenced pastures of Beatrix Potter’s beloved Lake District; over heather-clad hills and across Scottish seas to the historic, windswept Isle of Iona; and along the streets of charming Edinburgh.
Dates for this British Isles walking adventure in England & Scotland are linked to the incomparable Edinburgh Military Tattoo. The oddly named Tattoo is an extravaganza of the performing arts, initially only drum, bugle, and bagpipes, hence the “military” label. Now it’s been expanded to include a dizzying array of performances from all points of the compass, and takes place each August as part of the Edinburgh Art Festival.
A significant bonus on this carefully orchestrated itinerary is zero 1-night stays. We stay in each hotel at least 2 nights!
- All land travel as outlined
- Superior tourist-class or better hotel accommodations
- Ferry roundtrip from Oban to Isle of Mull
- Ferry roundtrip from Isle of Mull to Isle of Iona
- 15 meals: all breakfasts and 5 dinners as denoted (BD)
- 8 walk routes as listed
- Walking fees for those collecting IVV Credit
- WAI guide service throughout (2 guides)
- Cultural & historical expertise of national guides throughout
- All tipping for guides, coach drivers, and group meals
- Pricing is based on double occupancy; a limited number of single rooms are available for a supplement of $1,700
- Clotted cream tea – Chipping Campden, England
- Cruises on Lake Windermere – Lake District, England
- Iona Abbey – Scotland
- Stirling Castle – Scotland
- Edinburgh Military Tattoo – Scotland
- 48-hour hop-on-hop-off bus pass – Edinburgh, Scotland
- More fun and interesting stops than we can list!
- Beatrix Potter’s house in Hill Top – Lake District, England (DAY 5)