We are thrilled to offer one of our newer adventures dedicated to exploring portions of the famous 2200 mile-long Appalachian Trail in all 14 states through which it passes.
While portions of the Appalachian Trail are gentle with even footing, most of the trail traverses mountainous and rolling terrain with plenty of uneven footing. This is a hiking adventure more than a walking adventure, so solid, sturdy footwear, walking sticks, and a healthy dose of stamina and conditioning are necessary companions on this journey.
While our primary focus is hiking the Appalachian Trail in each state, other rewarding stops along the way add value and context, including a guided tour of West Point Military Academy and visits to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson’s home) and Gettysburg National Battlefield.
- Vermont – featuring a trail that starts with the intensity of Thundering Falls, a 140-foot cascade near Kent Pond, before continuing a long uphill climb through old-growth forest along the Appalachian Trail to Gifford Woods State Park
- Massachusetts – where we walk from the small town of Cheshire, set along the Hoosic River, to enjoy autumn reflections in Gore Pond and a spectacular fall foliage viewpoint known as “The Cobbles”
- West Virginia – and the multi-layered hamlet of Harper’s Ferry, set at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers, and a crossroads of historic events such as the initiation of the first successful American railroad and the pre-Civil War apprehension of fiery abolitionist John Brown by none other than Robert E. Lee
- Tennessee – offering a lovely forested walk to Laurel Falls, a hidden waterfall gem
- All land travel as outlined
- Superior tourist-class or better hotel accommodations
- 16 meals: all breakfasts and our Farewell Dinner as denoted (BD)
- 15 walks sanctioned by the American Volkssport Association on the Appalachian Trail in each state that we pass through (14 on the Appalachian Trail in each of 14 states plus 1 at Gettysburg, PA)
- Fees for walking stamps credit for those collecting AVA credit
- WAI guide service throughout (2 guides)
- All tipping for coach driver and any local guides
- Pricing is based on double occupancy. A limited number of single rooms are available for a supplement of $1190. We provide a roommate matching service for those interested.
Activities/ Visits to:
- Piazza Rock (ME)
- Dartmouth College (NH)
- Thundering Falls & Gifford Woods State Park (VT)
- The Cobbles (MA)
- West Point Military Academy Tour (NY)
- Bear Mountain (NY)
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (PA/NJ)
- Gettysburg National Military Park (PA)
- Guided tour of Gettysburg National Military Park (PA)
- Washington Monument State Park (MD)
- Harper’s Ferry National Historic Park (WV)
- Monticello (Thomas Jefferson’s Home) Group Tour (VA)
- Virginia Creeper Trail (VA)
- Laurel Falls (TN)
- Davy Crockett State Park (TN)
- More fun stops than we can list!