Welcome to Great Lakes 2022!
The Great Lakes region is packed with historical, cultural, and economic significance: the impact of the War of 1812; the influence of Ohio on the growth of the fledgling United States; the Erie Canal transportation revolution; and the vast industrialization of the region initiated by empire builders such as Henry Ford and John D. Rockefeller, to name a few. Yet the significance of the region is delightfully framed by its natural wonders: placid tracts of Michigan farmland, laid back lakeside towns, and traditional enclaves like Wisconsin’s Door Peninsula. The charms of Wisconsin’s pristine capital of Madison is a fitting finale.
- All land travel by motorcoach as outlined
- Tourist-class or better hotel accommodations
- 11 meals: all breakfasts and 1 dinner
- 10 walk routes as listed
- 2 walks during optional Pre-Day excursion to Niagara Falls
- Walking fees for 10 walks (plus 2 on Pre-day optional activity) for those collecting AVA walk credit (if AVA sanctions approved)
- WAI guide service throughout
- All tipping for coach drivers, any local guides, and group meals
- Pricing is based on double occupancy. A limited number of single rooms are available for a supplement of $925. We also provide a roommate matching service for those interested.
- Walks along 4 of the 5 Great Lakes: Erie, Huron, Superior, and Michigan, with Lake Ontario available on a Pre-Day option (see DAY 1 below)
- Walks in five states: New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin
- Walks in two state capitals: Lansing, Michigan, and Madison, Wisconsin
- Presque Isle State Park ~ Pennsylvania
- Toledo Wildwood Metropark ~ Ohio
- The Henry Ford Museum ~ Michigan
- Half-day driving tour of Heritage Route 23 along Michigan’s Lake Huron coast ~ Michigan
- Visits to at least three Lake Huron lighthouses ~ Michigan
- Mackinac Island ferry ~ Michigan
- Pictured Rocks National Shoreline Cruise ~ Lake Superior
- Door County drive & walk ~ Wisconsin
- Two-night stay in Madison directly across from the stunning state capitol
- More fun stops than we can list!
- Optional Niagara Falls & Lake Ontario Pre-Day (optional Maid of the Mist cruise mid-walk) (DAY 1)
- Fish boil dinner in Sturgeon Bay (DAY 7)
- Afternoon activities in Madison (DAY 10)